Talk of allure. Online dating, or internet dating, has attracted millions of people worldwide in just a few years of existence. What’s the magic or power behind the phenomenal pull?
If 40 million plus people are doing it, then something is right. So, what draws people to online dating in such vast numbers? Well, here are a few benefits and advantages of online dating over traditional dating:
1. Volume: Perhaps the foremost advantage is the almost limitless supply of people online, all with one common goal: to find a date. The huge numbers of available singles improve the odds of meeting the Mr. or Miss/Ms. Right. And, there are always fresh “supplies” as new people continue to join dating sites.
2. No guessing (in most cases) as to whether the other person is available or not, as they wouldn’t be on a dating site if they weren’t.
3. Wide net: Online dating offers you the opportunity contact multiple prospects at the same time. After exchanging emails and/or phone calls you can determine which if any is worth keeping. If none, just continue your search.
4. Online dating eliminates the awkwardness of first introductions. The first encounter is always the hardest for most people, and getting over it makes the rest of the dating experience much easier.
5. Speed: Online dating is designed towards a fast and efficient initial contact. Once the contact has been made, you can slow things slowed down to find out if you have a match.
6. Convenience: For people who are busy, prospecting online is the way to go. It is open 24/7 and you can also spend the amount of time that is convenient to you.
7. Privacy: You can exchange emails and/or phone calls until you are comfortable enough to reveal more, or to meet in person.
8. Web video chat and conferencing option allows you to see and talk to the other person, making it an almost personal interaction. Sorry, there’s not yet a way to touch or smell the other person through a modem (wink).
9. You already know, to a reasonable degree, what your prospective date looks like as well as his/her age, height, education etc. Compare this to blind dating.
10. Low Cost: The cost of internet dating is far less than traditional dating which usually involves coffee outings, dinners, movies etc.
If you haven’t yet tried online dating, aka internet dating, you should at least give it a try. Most of the reputable dating sites offer free trials. Who knows, the right person could be waiting for you right now!